Farm insurance is an expense that must be considered when you own a farm or wish to go into the trade. It’s a dream come true for many who wish to make cheese, wine, grow crops, specialize in certain fruits or vegetables, or even those who wish to diversify their real estate investments.
There’s a lot to consider, and it is hard to know what to do sometimes because there are so many things to consider. Read further to learn how to avoid farm insurance problems, protect your business, and ensure that the policies for which you’ve paid hard-earned money are working for you.
What is Farm Insurance?
Farm insurance is not just one policy, but it’s a collection of policies that will work together to protect a farm or large rural property. Remember, farms are covered in cropland, out buildings, farmhouses, processing facilities, barns, feed lots, and much more. Therefore, farm insurance must cover all these things using:
- Commercial property coverage
- Farm equipment insurance
- Crop insurance
- Product liability coverage
- Inland marine insurance
- Commercial liability coverage
- Workers’ compensation insurance and more
Working with our team at Owens, you can learn which coverages are most appropriate for your farm. Every business is different, and you want to ensure that you have customized coverage, rather than cookie-cutter policies that may not address your needs.
8 Ways to Avoid Farm Insurance Problems
Now that you know there’s quite a lot of insurance to purchase, you need to know how to avoid problems related to these policies. Yes, working with our pros at Owens helps, but there are other things you can do to get the best results and protect your business fully. At Owens, we recommend that you:
- Make sure the farm is covered when you complete the purchase
- Review policy limits so you aren’t left paying out of-pocket
- Review your coverage with our team before renewing your coverage
- Make adjustments to your policy (up or down) depending on your situation
- Maintain a full inventory of the farm and its contents
- Never hesitate to reach out to us at Owens for help
- Modernize your farm, operations, and machines as needed (new fences, improved machines, enhanced security systems, etc.)
- Never allow parts of your property to serve as the “junk drawer” or “dumping ground”
Reach Out to Owens Insurance for More Information on Farm Insurance
Reach out to us at Owens Insurance when you need information on farm insurance or wish to review your current coverage. We’re happy to help you protect your business, adjust as needed, and allow your farm to thrive. With every new policy, you’re safeguarding your bottom line, employees, animals, crops, and more.